The new Electronic Communications Act, ZEKom-1, transposed the amended Directive on Privacy in Electronic Communications 2002/58 / EC into Slovenian law. Decisions of the new law come into force on 15 June 2013 and apply to all websites that use web cookies and similar technologies in any way for their operation.
An article has been amended in the Directive that deals with cookies and similar technologies that can be used to store information or retrieve information stored on a user’s terminal equipment (such as a computer, mobile device). The use of such technologies is now possible only with the consent of the user.
What are web cookies?
A cookie is a small text file that is downloaded to a user’s computer when they visit the website and usually contains:
- The name of the server from which the cookie was sent;
- cookie lifetime;
- value – usually a randomly generated unique number.
The cookie itself does not contain or collect information. However, if it is read by the server along with a web browser, it can help the site perform more user-friendly services – for example, by remembering previous purchases or user account information. Only the server that sent the cookie can read and use this cookie. On a trustworthy website, cookies can enrich the experience. However, cookies can also be used in ways that constitute an invasion of an individual’s privacy. Cookies can be stored for different lengths of time, just for the duration of the browsing session, or much longer.
From the point of view of purpose, we use the following cookies:
- Essential: only website operation required
- Analytical: Cookies collect information about how visitors use the website and use it to improve the performance of the website.
- Functionality: These cookies allow the website to remember your choices, such as. username and other settings to provide a better user experience.
- Advertising: We use these cookies to send you content that best suits your interests. We can keep the content of our pages accessible for free by advertising.
For information on deleting cookies on your device, select the browser you are using: